Sep 14, 2011

In Search of the Mythical Island of Existential Certainty

It turns out that discernment is a difficult skill to master, yet it's sometimes just what we need. 

I think a very human and understandable response to the hard work of identifying and pursuing The Future That We Want is to fill our time with a shit-load of little day-to-day activities. After all, action can't be procrastination, right? 

At this point, I am not so sure. I think it's actually a lot like having the radio or T.V. on so we don't have to actually deal with our thoughts.

There are ample opportunities to schedule ourselves into things and book appointments - an endless stream of causes to help out, events to coordinate and happenings to bring to life. Add to that a host of projects that have been back-burnered forever (on that note, the rose garden is planted and looks great, I now have a second degree black-belt in growing grass from seed and the deck is marvelous, by the way).

The past week or so, I have become increasingly aware of the problem of getting enthused about something that seemed like a good idea at the time (and committing to it), only to have trouble recalling what it was that drew me to that particular activity in the first place as the date approaches. 

Perhaps I am more acutely aware of this now that I am staring down that whole "what to do with the rest of your life" thing. Yes, sometimes we just need to go through the motions and keep our commitments until we drift our way over to the next island of existential certainty, I understand that. However, I think it would be a mistake to ignore this potential warning sign. 

My sense is that as Autumn approaches, it is now time to focus more closely on underlying motivation to winnow and sift the wheat from chaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment