Apr 10, 2012

Back in the Game

We returned this afternoon from my Father's funeral. Suffice it to say that he was one hell of a guy and will be missed by many, many people. Rest assured that the world is a better place because he was here. We, the family, owe a debt of gratitude to the staff of Columbia St. Mary's Hospital and Horizon Hospice, as well as countless friends of my parents and their advisors.

I thought I was prepared for this - this has been coming for some time, and thanks to my EMR training, it seems that I knew as much (or more) than the nurses re: what was really going on towards the end. In spite of that, the funeral itself felt... surreal - like I was watching it rather than participating in it. Knowledge is not necessarily power, after all. My brother did an exceptional job on the eulogy; I don't think I could have pulled that off with the skill that he demonstrated, so that's appreciated.

It's truly a blessing to have the time to your parents in their "golden" years. I left work in July not knowing what the future held, but the time was quickly filled with a bunch of hobbies and interests that ended up getting back-burnered because of family issues. That's a high-class problem, though. Most people have to take FMLA or go to the favor-bank to get time off of work. Unlike my siblings, I didn't have that problem, so I am grateful for that as well.

I think things will be settling down for the time-being, so I am looking forward to getting back into more of a routine, though there will surely be trips home to conduct some business and/or check on things.

In the near-term,  art welding is back on the agenda (CAFAC was great about working through my previous cancelation and re-start ).  I am also about 90% of the way to becoming a Skywarn Storm Spotter. The 90% of the effort is obtaining a HAM radio license (not exactly easy). Now I only have to complete a 4-hour Metro Skywarn training to get in on this good clean fun.  I have also thrown my hat in the ring for radio support on the Ironman ride in May and will look for more radio support roles going forward. HAM radio is not exactly easy to get into, but once you are in, you're in - the license is good for 10 years. It also seems to be endlessly fascinating, so I am proud of my license and look forward to using it for public safety and emergency communications in the future.

Hopefully, there will be rides on nice days followed by libations and sustenance at Sea Salt in the near future as well.

Be well, ride safe and count your blessings.

1 comment:

  1. There was an episode of The Simpsons where they mocked Ham Radio operators that I always think of when Ham Radios come up. Not to mock you, of course. :)

    Pick a date for Sea Salt. I'll be there, man. Unless it's during League Play.

    ReplyDelete