Apr 3, 2009

Cannondale Pulls Out


Cannondale announced yesterday that they will be terminating U.S. manufacture of bicycles. I believe this now means that there are no mass-produced bicycles that are still made in the U.S. of A. Most of the major U.S. brands (Specialized, Schwinn, Trek, Cannondale and even Surly) have relied on Asian manufacturing for a long time. There are still high-end builders in the U.S., but I don't believe there are any U.S. companies building bikes-for-the-masses in the U.S. anymore.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Cannondale - especially the older, over-sized aluminum frame units. I know some people refer to these as "Crack-and-fail" frames, but I thought they rode really well and I kind of like how they look. While I am not overly hung-up on "made in the USA", it is kind of sad that this era is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment