Aug 29, 2010

Diving-In to Internal Hubs

Today I picked up a used Sturmey Archer 3-Speed AW hub from MMRB for a fair and reasonable price. The purpose of this hub is educational rather than transportational; I intend to dismantle and reassemble the thing until I understand how a 3-speed hub works and how to service them.

Armed with Sheldon's wisdom, I shall be starting this little self-improvement project later this week. If it all goes to hell, I have a few people I can call on as well.

On a sort-of-related note, I had new Sun Rims mounted to my existing SA hubs while I was Canada*, so the Raleigh is now sporting some alloy rims that don't shriek and wobble when I brake. What a luxury! This might be my third set of Thill Wheels, although this one set of wheels re-used some pretty old parts, so they may not deserve that moniker. The wheels ride great, however, so this will be a sweet, sweet upgrade to the 3-speed.

* Canada: C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment