Aug 21, 2009

Memorials

I rode in to work today, despite being on PTO, for a lunch/interview with a senior-level candidate who flew in from out-of-state. I was ready to go a little early, so the spouse suggested I leave early, take my camera and enjoy a slow ride. The weather was rapidly improving, so I took her up on the idea.

For whatever reason, I was thinking about those road-side memorials that commemorate people that have died in traffic accidents. There was a particularly spooky one on Jewel Lake Road in Anchorage near our house, and I saw several of these coming back from the North Shore earlier this week. That got me to thinking that there are two memorials located on my basic commute route that I go by almost every day.

The first is located at Park Ave. and 24th Street, just south of St. Mary's and kitty-corner from Phillips Eye Institute. This memorial was originally installed in March, 2008 to commemorate Sharonda Harrison, who was killed in a car accident at this intersection. I suspect that most people traveling through this intersection may not even be aware that it is here, but every time I ride or drive past this site, I look over at it and wonder who this person was and who put that memorial out.

The second memorial site on my route is much better know; it's Dennis Dumm's Ghost Bike at Park Ave. and 14th Street. Dennis was killed by a truck that turned into him as he proceeded straight through the intersection, in the bike lane, at 7:40AM on May 20.

Having ridden through here many, many times, it occurred to me that I had not yet taken a picture of Dennis' Ghost Bike, so I paused on the way in to the office to capture these images as well.

I didn't know Dennis Dumm, but I do know some of the people that installed this memorial to him. Again, every time I ride by this I glance over at it and can't help but reflect for a moment about Dennis and his loved ones.

I think that's a lot of what these memorials are about - a reminder from friends and family to not forget the people who have been lost to tragic accidents. On that note, it seemed appropriate to recognize both of these memorials here.

No comments:

Post a Comment