Aug 29, 2008

Save the Date: Nov. 13, 2008


The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will be presenting a "draft final" report on the I-35W bridge collapse on November 13, 2008 in Washington, DC. The report will include conclusions, probable causes, and safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents.

On that note, in early August, I went searching the interweb for photos of the collapse for my August 2, 2008 "one year after" post. I found quite a few photos on Flickr, but surprisingly few on the Star Tribune, Pioneer Press or government websites. It makes me think that just perhaps photos of the fallen bridge are being surpressed by the government to make our already forgetful nation move past this monumental fuck-up. Here's a link to the NTSB site with some photos I came across tonight. Let's see if these stay up past Nov. 13.

I also came across this site tonight. It's a lot of fun; it's an interactive google maps tool to help you find those pesky "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" bridges near you. Good thing Minneapolis does not have much to worry about here (if you know me, sense dry humor at this point in the dialogue).

Meanwhile, if you need to get in touch, I'll be in the basement making more tin foil hats for the cat and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment