May 21, 2009

What's Wrong with this Picture???

Minneapolis is second only to Portland in percentage of the population that uses bikes to commute to work. Yet, our very own police department describes riding you bicycle downtown as "very, very dangerous". No less than one week after all the fanfare from Bike/Walk to work week no less.

The tragic fatality yesterday has really got me thinking about the situation. Dennis Dumm was killed by a semi-truck making a left turn across the bike lane on Park Ave., the same route I take every time I ride to work.

I'd love to see the media do an investigative report on how the City is really accommodating bicycles downtown. I am even searching for some good ideas to help them figure this out.  I think it would reveal that things are not as fair and sunny as you would maybe believe. Yes, we have a greenway, yes we have a painted bike lane on some streets, but all in all, I'd have to say the city is pretty firmly car and bus focused in the CBD.

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Dennis Dumm. The accident was a tragedy and should never have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment